Monday, October 12, 2009

Earworm Revisited

It’s been a long time since I posted anything here. Here’s a list of my favorite excuses:
1. I haven’t heard anything good lately
2. I’ve been too busy

3. I have kids
4. I have a life
5. I have a lack of interest
6. I have no clue.
7. The devil made me do it.
8. I’ve recently found that there is, in fact, no devil. Therefore, I am ashamed to say that I have no-one but myself to blame.
9. I took time off.
10. I had nothing reasonable to say.
11. Nobody reads this thing anyway.


So as it turns out, I’ve got a lot on my mind. I’ve succeeded in alienating a lot of people on Facebook with my opinions, which have in the last year graduated to the lofty status of Well-Informed Passions. I have no inherent desire to be confrontational or to piss people off. But I’ve come to some staggeringly powerful conclusions about myself and my community, both local and national, and I realize that I need to write. A LOT.

My dear friend John has helped me get my writing boots on recently, and although my projects with him have stalled due to my inconsistencies, I think this might prove to be a springboard for further, more detailed and less constrained creative prose as we go on.

A great deal of what goes on this page will be observations and musings political, philosophical, and otherwise. They may be ugly. I hope that will be the exception, not the rule. I hope to include pretty much anything that pops into my mind, including the happier end of my spectrum, music. I’ll post links and videos, pictures and lots of opinions and ramblings. I’m doing this for me, not you, although it’s a bonus if you like it.

For today, Columbus Day, I’ll leave you with these thoughts:

The term "pre-Columbian" is usually used to refer to the peoples and cultures of the Americas before the arrival of Columbus and his European successors. Columbus himself was responsible for the deaths of millions of Native Americans (estimates range between 1 and 3 million) in first 15 years of his colonization of the Caribbean[2][3], including entire peoples' such as the Taino[4] and the Arawak[5], and was the founder of the practice of slavery in the Americas.[6]

2. Zinn, Howard (2003). "1" (in English). A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present (Fifth Printing ed.). New York: Harper Perennial. pp. 7.
ISBN 0060838655.
3. Churchill, Ward (December 1993) (in English).
Indians Are Us?: Culture and Genocide in Native North America. Common Courage Press. http://www.mit.edu/~thistle/v9/9.11/1columbus.html. Retrieved 10-12-2009.
4. Rouse, Irving (July 28, 1993) (in English). The Tainos: Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus (Paperback). Yale University Press.
ISBN 0300056966.
5. Zinn, Howard (2003). "1" (in English). A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present (Fifth Printing ed.). Harper Perennial. pp. 5.
ISBN 0060838655.
6. Zinn, Howard (2003). "1" (in English). A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present (Fifth Printing ed.). New York: Harper Perennial. pp. 4.

"Columbus' claim to fame isn't that he got there first, it's that he stayed."
-Historian Martin Dugard

1 comment:

jgrow2 said...

I am glad you're back with the earworm Sir. It has been too long.

The October, 2009, Smithsonian magazine has an article about Columbus and the very crimes he helped perpetuate. It's called "A World Too New," and is on their website....

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-places/Presence-of-Mind-A-World-Too-New.html

And speaking as someone who's alienated a few with his views, I do love to read your FB posts. Kindred spirits, if you will.