Sunday, September 5, 2010

Head Games and Youth Sports: Have We Gone Too Far?


Somehow, playing sports in this country has become just as important as learning math, science and history. Could it be that professional athletes make obscene amounts of money, especially when compared to the paltry and conversely obscene wages offered to our teachers?

I think that the culture of unregulated capitalism which begs for cutthroat competition and hyper aggressive attitudes is making this country a sad excuse for what it used to be. Children should be less attracted to the lure of a big sports salary or sporting scholarship than achieving something unique or building skills and developing the smarts to be able to innovate, think critically and interact positively with the world around them. Intelligence and wisdom have sadly become incidentals to hopefully be garnered on the way to becoming the biggest and fastest athlete or sports figure, and the connection I hear many fellow parents in my area between the youth sports programs and their children's futures in business is a very strong one.

I'm sorry to say that I'm in my thirties and sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but I just don't think youth sports provide any real benefits outside the realm of physical activity. I'd much rather have my kids running or swimming or hiking than sticking them on any kind of sports team. It's become too serious and pressurized. Little League World Series' games are now on TV... Do we really need any more undue pressure on our kids?
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

No comments: