Friday, February 6, 2009

Today... The Earworm Test

Today I've performed the Earworm Test on two (relatively) new songs. The test is simple: Set the iPod to repeat a song for 30 minutes while I go about the business of being a Dad and/or housecleaning dude. After that, if the song is not immediately memorable to me it probably won't make it into regular music rotation.

The test I performed today was on "Get On Your Boots" by U2, one of my stalwart faves, and "Sex on Fire" by the curious Kings of Leon.

I have to say that as much as I wanted U2 to be the hands down winner here, Kings of Leon took the prize. I've enjoyed the occasional Kiungs of Leon single here and there ("Molly's Chambers" is my favorite KoL tune currently), but U2 has always been a "go to" act for me, never a disappointment... Well, maybe with "Pop" and "Zooropa" a little bit...

Anyhow, Kings of Leon's "Sex on Fire" beat out the new U2. Who knew? The chorus hook is catchy and the sound is typical KoL guitar driven garage rock. Lovely stuff for the rockers out there, and hope for the future of Rock music as well.

1 comment:

jgrow2 said...

So I listened to both tracks courtesy of iTunes. The U2 track I'd heard before via Opie and Anthony and while it's OK--typical modern U2 sound, and at least Adam Clayton's playing style seems more appropriate here--it's not nearly as compelling as the Kings of Leon track.

I can always count on you to pry my ears open to new sounds, sir.